FINANCE UN CLIMATE ACTION 2019
Please use our A-Z INDEX to navigate this site where page links may lead to other sites
UN Action Portfolios - In order to ensure that the transformative actions in the real economy are as impactful as possible, the UN Secretary-General has prioritized six action portfolios, which are recognized as having high potential to curb greenhouse gas emissions and increased global action on adaptation and resilience.
Finance: mobilizing public and private sources of finance to drive decarbonization of all priority sectors and advance resilience.
If past performance is anything to go by, this is an important advance - if it is carried into action to incentivise the innovators who are willing to undertake specific challenges as they are able.
All too often we hear of ideas that were put on the table, but that the institutions that were supposed to be driving adaptation, refused in favour of an unachievable ideal that turned out to be impractical.
UN CLIMATE ACTION PORTFOLIOS
Global emissions are reaching record levels and show no sign of peaking. The last four years were the four hottest on record, and winter temperatures in the
Arctic have risen by 3°C since 1990. Sea levels are rising, coral reefs are
dying for ocean acidification, and we are starting to see the life-threatening impact of
climate change on health, through air pollution, heatwaves and risks to
CLIMATE CHANGE COP HISTORY
DESERTIFICATION COP HISTORY
BIODIVERSITY COP HISTORY
OUR SIX STEPS TOWARD A COOLER PLANET
1. TRANSPORT: Phase out polluting vehicles. Government aims to end the sale of new petrol, and diesel vehicles by 2040 but have no infrastructure plan to support such ambition. Marine transport can be carbon neutral.
3. HOUSING: On site micro or macro generation is the best option, starting with new build homes.
4. AGRICULTURE: We need trees to absorb carbon emissions from a growing population, flying, and to build new homes. Reducing food waste and promoting less energy intensive eating habits such as no meat Mondays.
5. INDUSTRY: Factories should be aiming for solar heating and onsite renewable energy generation.
6. POLITICS: - National governing bodies need to adopt policies to eliminate administrative wastages, to include scaling down spending on war machines, educating the public and supporting sustainable social policies that mesh with other cultures. Curbing kleptocratic councils.
FUTURE ENERGY - The annual World Future Energy Summit in Abu Dhabi is the leading global industry event and marketplace for future energy, cleantech and sustainability. Bringing together government and business leaders, 800 specialist exhibitors and 33,500 visitors from 170 countries, it showcases pioneering technologies and ground-breaking thinking in energy and energy efficiency, water, solar, waste, smart cities and more.
LINKS & REFERENCE
This website is provided on a free basis as a public information service. copyright © Climate Change Trust 2019. Solar Studios, BN271RF, United Kingdom.